I'm in love I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!! Is anyone else in love with coconut oil? Well if you aren't you are now not allowed to leave this page until you have been shot with coconut cupids arrow. There are soo many different ways you can use coconut oil and today I am going to touch on a few of my favorites!
So to start off, coconut oil sometimes gets a bad rap because of it's rather high saturated fat content. Sooo here is my personal as well as researched opinion on this.
Personal: Saturated fat is not "bad" for you, your body actually NEEDS saturated fat. The problem is that today since everything we eat is so laden with it (fast food being a top culprit) most people are getting too much and yes, it can cause health problems in excess as well as from the wrong source. So bottom line, in the best interest of the population at whole, health professionals lean toward just terming it as "bad." Saturated fats are important for nerve and brain function and people that are low in it DO have problems just as people who eat excessive amounts have problems, its not the nutrient that is bad it's the ignorance of understanding how to consume it.
In a three-year study conducted at the University of Washington, researchers examined the diets and coronary artery conditions of 235 women in the United States with an average age of 66. It was found that women who had regularly eaten the highest amounts of saturated fats had the least amount of additional plaque buildup in their arteries. Also, women who ate more saturated fats had a healthier balance of good and bad cholesterol and more desirable blood concentrations of various kinds of fats.
Saturated fats are very protective to the body just as cholesterol work to help the immune system fight as well as keep cells and their lipid membranes repaired and working properly.
THE SOURCE DOES MATTER:
Where you get your saturated fat from does very much matter. Because saturated fat in unnatural forms is usually paired with excessive amounts of refined sugar, etc. It is important to stick to natural sources such as organic beef, dairy products and COCONUT OIL!!
So now that we have go through the health benefits of the saturated fat are you convinced not to fear coconut oil due to it's high saturated fat content? If not you should still continue reading and further criticizing.
TOP USES FOR COCONUT OIL
1. Coconut oil's source of triglycerides are primarily medium chained which is very significant because medium chain fatty acids are metabolized differently. They go straight to the liver from digestive tract and are used as a quick source of energy or turned into ketones; this has been shown to have benefits on many brain disorders. Also these medium chained fats have shown to make the body favor energy expenditure and in a study done on this, people consuming high amounts of MCT's increased energy expenditure by 120 calories a day just simply by eating it!
2. Contains Lauric acid which is known to kill bacteria, fungi and viruses.
3. CAN REDUCE HUNGER. Studies showed that men eating the highest amount of these MCT's consumed on average 256 fewer calories throughout the day! This has been said to possibly be from the production of ketone bodies which has shown a reduce in appetite.
Disclaimer: Coconut oil is very high in calories and therefore eating it all day long will obviously not help with your health, but in small, recommended amounts these benefits are likely.
4. Cooking with coconut oil is also one of the greatest oils to use at high temperatures because it has a very high smoke point which makes it stable at high temperatures. Olive oil and some others have been shown to have harmful effects when heated to high temps. So for frying, stir-fry, etc. Reach for the coconut!
5. TOPICAL: This is my most treasured use of coconut oil. I use it for EVERYTHING in this sense. Moisturizer for your skin. Overall your skin is just a bunch of lipids! I use it every morning and night to moisturize my face and it works wonders on keeping your skin clear and healthy!
Also try it in your hair, it really helps restore and repair! Just put it in and leave on for as long as you'd like then wash your hair like you normally would. It really makes your strands soft and shiny.
Ever heard of oil pulling? This oil has been proven to remove and kill bacteria in your mouth. So swishing with coconut oil can improve dental health and also kill bad breath.
Sources to buy
Always purchase ORGANIC,UNREFINED, EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL! Here's some pictures of what to look for!